Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Grapevine Studies - A Review


This year I set out to make studying the Bible a real part of our homeschool.  Since we just started our 2015-16 routine last month this resource could not have come to us at a better time.  Grapevine Studies has created and AWESOME curriculum in Stick Figure Through the Bible.  The kids and I have been joyously working through Old Testament 1:  Level 1 Creation to Jacob.  I must be getting more keen on spotting resources that span the sea of years between our oldest homeschooler and the two youngest.  Five years can be a tough gap to bridge, but I am happy to say that this Bible curriculum does it phenomenally for our family.

There is so much to love about this curriculum.  Aside from bridging the gap between my children my absolute favorite thing from a teaching standpoint is that it requires ZERO planning on my part.  Aside from printing the sheets from my downloaded student book there is nothing for me to do other than pulling up the teacher book on my laptop and grabbing a dry erase marker.  That's it!  Nothing to it.  Everything is spelled out for me, and I simply love that!  Another amazing benefit that was totally unforeseen for me is that my ten year old can teach it!  YES!  GIGANTIC BONUS!  A couple of times I have had interruptions during our studies that demanded my attention.  I handed her the marker, and she took over with ease.  How wonderful is that?

From a kid standpoint all I can say is that they all absolutely love this course of study.  The ten year old practically begs to do it each morning, and I get no flack from the younger two.  The fact that they can use the traceable version makes all the difference in the world in regard to their desire to fully participate in the lesson.  It's perfect for their four and five year old skill levels and encourages them in their fine motor skills, letter recognition, imagination, biblical understanding, and creativity.  They actively participate in the lesson, and I have to say that it just warms my heart.



I do have to admit that I am a book in hand kind of gal.  We were blessed with the downloadable, e-book version of this curriculum.  However, given a choice I would have preferred the printed book version.  It's taken a little getting used to having to have my laptop in front of me when I teach the lesson.  I even think I would love each kid to have their own workbook.  However, we are making it work with ease, and this old school mama is moving a little further into the 21st Century, albeit a tad unwillingly.  I am old enough to have listened to eight track tapes with headphones the size of softballs, so I'm sure you understand.  However, if you don't know what eight track tapes are then you probably have no way of relating to my struggle.



Our family enjoys our Monday, Wednesday, and Friday morning studies with Grapevine.  I know this resource will stand the test of time.  I am sure we'll continue on with it and move to the next level next year.  There are so many topics to cover.  There are four different levels that carry you through middle school age as well as topical studies to explore.  This is a great resource for home, church, and school.  The lessons are flexible allowing you to keep it simple or expand on the topic and dig deeper.  We're so happy to have made Grapevines Studies a part of our homeschool.

Grapevine Studies Review

Crew Disclaimer

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...